Nilla Wafers Orange-Coconut Balls





This week's request came from Rhonda, who was looking for a special holiday recipe her mom used to make. It was an orange cookie type treat made with Nilla wafers, coconut and orange juice concentrate. It has been a long time since Rhonda has eaten one, but she distinctly remembers her mom buying the frozen concentrated juice for these unique cookies. 

In my opinion this is the definition of a vintage dessert and it is exactly the type of recipe that I really look forward to making. These cookies seemed so obscure that I had no idea what the result would be. Never had I made or even eaten a no-bake cookie such as the one Rhonda had described. How did someone come up with a recipe like this. I guessed this concoction was created when the manufacturing companies, Nabisco, Bakers Co. and Tropicana all got in on it in order to sell their products. Of course all of these odds and ends work together....
Originally I had found the recipe in a community cookbook called Try Our Delicacies from 1981. This came from a Ruth Callaghan of Sarasota, Florida. I thought it was something special and really rare to find, that is until I purchased the off brand vanilla wafers and saw that the exact recipe was on the side of the box!


As Sullivan and I mixed together all of the crushed up ingredients I feared these cookies were going to be mushy and not very appealing to the eye. Boy,  was I wrong. These little balls of nonsense are chewy and absolutely delightful. It is truly impossible to eat just one of them. The first one is like a tester. Your mind doesn't really know what to think because you have never had anything like it before. As you chew, your mouth tells you it is ok to enjoy yourself because it is super yummy.  Then you can have a second one and really take in all of the flavor.

Now that I have tried these orange coconut balls, I would like to try other flavors. Maybe mix up a strawberry lemonade ball or key lime. What are some other delicious flavors that you can think of?

xoxo

 
Share:

Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes