Kraft Old English Cheese Crackers



I often fantasize about 1950's dinner parties, where each guest arrives dressed to the 9's. They are greeted with fancy cocktails, elaborate hors d'oeuvres stabbed with tiny toothpicks atop shiny serving trays, while the smell of pot roast and cologne fills the air. Someday I hope to host a party such as this but until then Sullivan and I will keep pretending. 


 This week we were asked to find a very special cheese cracker recipe. The important detail about these crackers was that they were made with a jar of Kraft's Old English Cheese Spread. The bummer is that jars of Old English are no longer sold in many stores. After hunting for it at multiple places I had to do some research. I found out jars can be ordered off of Amazon and some Meijer stores carry them.  As I read more about this rare cheese, I saw that it holds a special place in many people's hearts. It is ordered by the case and according to these Old English enthusiasts, there is no substitute when it comes to the cracker recipe. 


I found a cracker recipe in the 1953 Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. This version was the beginning of the cheesy treat made with grated cheese from a block. It then evolved into the Old English version in the 1970's when the jars appeared on the shelves. A lot of "moms" would mix up these crackers and even stash some dough in the freezer for emergency party snacks. I think it is the perfect go-to appetizer in a pinch. The dough is very easy to make and the toasty crackers can be topped with an endless array of toppings. 


Cheese Crackers

I made sure to put on my favorite dinner party dress for my snack date with Sullivan. He chose to spread sweet raspberry jam on top of our crackers. Let me tell you they were deeeeelicious! I am excited to try out other cheeses with this recipe and to serve them at a dinner party very soon!

xoxo

Share:

Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes