What's My Recipe?

Mocha Cake
Request from Sue, Taylor, MI

                                         

Welcome to the new video series, "What's My Recipe?", where you ask me, Peach, to help you rediscover an old family recipe that got lost with the times. I will look through all of the vintage cook books in my collection to find your nostalgic dish and bring you a little slice of comfort. Send an
e-mail to  morgan@peachbetty.com listing as many details about the dish that you can remember along with a video if you are not camera shy.

Our first request came from Sue from Michigan. She was craving chocolate cake, but not just any chocolate cake, Lauranne's chocolate cake. Lauranne was an old friend of the family, raised by Sue's grandma.  As a young child, Sue and her family would visit Lauranne at her house in Tennessee where she would serve them this luscious chocolate cake flavored with black coffee. Sue distinctly remembers thinking she was breaking the rules because children were not suppose to drink coffee! 

My mission was clear! Find a delicious chocolate cake that used coffee in the batter and in the frosting. Ingredients had to be inexpensive, because Lauranne had a large family. This meant cocoa powder had to be the chocolate component. You would be surprised on how difficult this task actually was. I looked through all of my cook books and could not find the right cake. There were mocha chiffon cakes and dozens of mocha frostings, but it wasn't until, unfortunately, I resorted to the internet, was I able to figure it out! 

A Hershey's Chocolate Cocoa recipe book is what I was missing. I was able to find multiple variations of this coffee enhanced cake once I knew the proper key words. The oldest one I could find was from 1934.



The frosting was a no brainer! It had to be simple buttercream with soft butter, sweet powder sugar, rich cocoa powder and, of course, coffee. Once whipped all together it was impossible not to lick the spatula. 

Sue, I hope this brings back lots of happy memories. Enjoy!

Who can I help next?

xoxo
Peach


Share:

Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes