Mexican Cornbread




When it comes to food, there is one style that I really take comfort in and that is Southern. Give me a plate of baked beans, corn on the cob, coleslaw, potato salad, and I'm one happy lady! This is because of my Tennessee roots. I come from a long line of chicken frying, green bean snapping, country cooking women. The only downside is that I never got to cook with any of these women, and none of them ever wrote anything down. 



My mom's cousin, Bonnie, was able to enjoy lots of delicious food prepared by my Great Grandma. One thing she really misses is Great Grandma's Mexican cornbread. Bonnie reached out to me in hopes that I could retrieve this recipe and help bring it back into her life.



I thought it was the perfect sign to have found the Southern style cornbread recipe in the Heavenly Recipes cookbook. It was like Great Grandma was guiding me from heaven while Sullivan and I recreated her southern side dish.




To bring this southern style cornbread recipe up to Mexican cornbread level I added,
1 1/2 c cheddar cheese
2-3 Tablespoons jalapeƱos  
3 Tablespoons honey
1 can sweet corn

It is only fitting to bake your cornbread in a well seasoned cast iron skillet because that is the southern woman's pan of choice! By sticking the pan in the oven to melt your butter helps to pre-grease the pan and add a crunchy layer on the outside of your cornbread while it bakes. This recipe is really delicious and will compliment all of your side dishes at the bbq. I hope that Great Grandma is proud of what Sullivan and I created. 

xoxo



MILK BREAK!!



  


Share:

Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes